November 10, 2009

A Little History Lesson

I've been on a documentary/biography/history kick lately, so today when I was deciding what to put at the top of my Netflix queue I finally boosted the HBO miniseries on the life of John Adams to the top. It arrives tomorrow, so I will be sure to let everyone know how it is. 

Living in a part of the country that is so rich in history, it just feels like a shame to not spend at least some time finding out about it. PBS came out with a fantastic documentary series on New York in 1999 and we (the roommates and I) have been watching it in several installments. Last week we learned about the Lower East Side tenements and the heartbreaking poverty that went on exactly where we live today.

Equally as amazing to me as the profound progress that has occurred here is how much some things have stayed the same. The Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park, even the grid that lays out the city, all have remained relatively unchanged over time and I just love that! So for anyone interested:


New York (7 Episode PBS Boxed Set)

I recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment