November 17, 2009

Battle of the Darcy's

I know, I know. I broke my "post every day for thirty days" rule... but it was for your own good. I refuse to let this blog wither into inane blathering, which is surely what it was going to come to if I didn't take a short hiatus. Besides, doesn't absence make the heart grow fonder?
__________________________________________________


Stacks upon stacks of clean laundry are currently sitting in my room waiting to be put away. As my Monday nights are typically void of any obligations, last night would logically have been a great night to tackle that. A little stop by the gym first shouldn't have gotten in the way of that, right?

Wrong. Because on a whim I decided to attend a boot camp class. If you know me at all, you are laughing right now.

Needless to say that when I got home, I was good for nothing more than tossing a frozen pizza in the oven and collapsing on the couch with my roommates to catch the last half hour of Pride and Prejudice on television.

Now like millions of girls across the world, I claim Pride and Prejudice to be among my very favorite books and movies, Elizabeth Bennett among my favorite literary heroines. And wherever two or more true Austenites gather, immediate lines are drawn on the following debate:

1996 Colin Firth Pride and Prejudice miniseries vs. 2005 Keira Knightley Pride and Prejudice feature film

Each has its merits, and I could discuss these at length, however, only two words are truly necessary for a solid defense of the first: Colin and Firth.

Honestly, though, despite its smattering of inconsistencies with the original text, it's the second one that captures my heart over and over again. Between the captivating cinematography and the beautiful soundtrack, I just get lost in it every single time. So with the following clip, I rest my case:






1 comment:

  1. Sigh. This makes my heart sing! I adore this film... It takes me to another place!

    ReplyDelete